Tuesday, October 22, 2013

There's a drop

All day long, and sometimes even while I sleep I think of things I want to record. I have always thought that I should keep a mini recorder with me because the thoughts, which seem monumental at the time, go fluttering away in an instant.

I am grateful of many things and I keep mentally writing a post about getting under that amazing, huge, puffy down comforter, and the dread that is the sound of an alarm.

Well, while I was mentally composing, I opened my teacher FB account and one of the pages I like posted something about an interview that Jon Stewart just did. Honestly, I usually ignore most "shares" but something made me open and watch this.


I am sitting in my heated house (from burning coal, no less) bitching about getting up early and DREADING parent conferences and the 13 hour work days that are ahead for me for the next two days and here is this little girl, well teenager, from Pakistan who is fighting for her right and all girls' rights to education. She's right, we don't appreciate what we have until it is snatched right out from under us. Thank you Malala, for speaking up, for standing up for being a voice, albeit one lone voice, that is so well articulated. We need you.

No comments: