Saturday, August 24, 2013

I'm probably not going to win mother of the year

I'm an asshole and a terrible mother. At 3:30 this morning, after having been woken up by the adorable pooch face I realized, shit, this must be giardia. You know, that pesky little protist that dwells in bird poop and infected water and causes intestinal issues? Well, that thought smacked me in the head while I was wandering around in my front yard with Fresa on a leash. I came back in and immediately googled giardia and sure enough she has not only had one symptom, but all the symptoms. Geesh, what an awful mother that I was ready to unleash her into the city to fend for herself, when this whole time she is sick...

I was able to secure a poop sample for the vet, but the lab won't have the results til Monday. Until then she is on an antibiotic, probiotic and special bland dog food. The antibiotics can make her feel loopy so the vet told me to watch out for that. If she, in fact, tests positive for giardia then she'll get an additional medicine.

I do have thoughts of "what was I thinking" about being a dog owner, but I have to tell you that I love having her in my life and I'm glad I was able to control my behavior long enough not to unleash her in the middle of the night.


I mean seriously.

No comments: