Wednesday, April 17, 2013

My fictional life

Is your life part fiction? Do things happen to you that can't possibly be real? Sometimes I feel like I'm standing beside myself and observing what is happening, all the while shaking my head and thinking - "this can't possibly be real." I've watched a few episodes of Fringe and I wonder if we really do have an alternate universe where the alternate us is living and experiencing the other real.

Being a high school teacher this happens a lot. My students will say or do something that I can't imagine is real. Am I really having this conversation? Did this kid really do this thing for the 100th time? This can't be real.

The mind is incredible. How could I possibly imagine a life stranger than fiction? I was going to write a letter to a friend today and I realized that the friend doesn't really exist. Well, I mean, they exist, but not in the way that I see them. My reality of this person isn't actually real. How could that be?

It's not that you don't mean anything to that person, it's just that you don't mean what you thought you did. Kind of a slap in the face, but more so a slap in questioning your judgement. How could I be so off on reality? Am I really that bad at seeing what's there? Is my mind playing tricks on me on purpose? 

Have you ever woken up from a dream and been convinced that it really happened? How about a so called memory that you aren't really sure actually happened, like for real, or you just imagined it?



No comments: