Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Colombian buses

Spending 33 hours on buses in a 3rd world country is enough to make even the most positive person a bit jaded, and well, you know that I wasn't this year's model positive personality winner. Let's see, what can I share... for one thing the vomit ride is alive and well. I briefly took off my headphones to the chorus of gags and hacks of bile being deposited into flimsy plastic bags. How about the cloth bags with top zippers that held roosters being shuttled to their fame, or death, at the cock fight? The lady with her seat reclined into my lap so she could accommodate her caged birds was not too pleasant. The one Paying lady with her litter of children that has to ride on her lap even though a paying customer can't really utilize the seat next to her. Don't even get me started on the smells... Oh Colombia - you will forever remind me of piss and vomit. Now I'm sure that for the total trips I spent less than $100 USD. I can't brag about the distances too much since a lot of the roads weren't real roads, but narrow dirt and rock paths barely wide enough for one car never mind cars traveling in opposite directions. My favorite part is that the bus stops whenever someone needs it to stop, so the "express" bus is just an adjective to make gringos pay a bit more.

Don't worry there are more adventure updates to come! Stay tuned for the latest shannagans of Lisa and her excellent decision making....

No comments: