Saturday, July 10, 2010

Day 36: The TeleferiQo

In 2005 a gondola style chair lift on the West side of Quito opened. The lift takes you to the base of Volcan Pichincha to an altitude of 4050 meters - 13,365 feet. If you happen to be a foreigner the round trip ticket will cost you $8.50, for locals... $4.95. The ride itself is 2.5 km long and takes just under 10 minutes. Any guide book will tell you that it is highly recommended, so after making some friends this week I invited myself to go with them to the TeleferiQo.

Last night I made it to happy hour after school. A group from the house were going and I thought it would be a good time so that we could all go back together and feel a bit safer. I don't know if I told you, but when my friends Matt and Jenny were here they were robbed at knifepoint in the exact area as all the bars and happy hour activities, across the main road from my school. I haven't talked to them about specifics, but I've been a bit more cautious since they told me. So the group idea was good and we all went out. During drinks a couple brought up that they wanted to go to the TeleferiQo, and I told them that I would set my alarm and if the weather was good I'd come wake them up. After days and days of afternoon rains I wasn't sure what the weather would be like, but when I woke up the sun was out and we headed up to the gondola.


Looks like a normal chair lift... you may not be surprised, but when you travel enough you are shocked when things "seem" normal.



Looking out of the gondola



Remember, Quito is 2800 meters, the base of the chair lift is 3050 m and it climbs 1000 m to a peak called Cruz Loma.  Here I am standing in the heart of the Andes!



High up in the Andes - looking South



I'm pretty sure this trail leads up to the summit of Rucu Pichincha (4627 m), but we didn't actually venture up there. It is a 3 hour trek up and it just wasn't on the agenda for today!



They did have a few horses for rent at the top!



And of course, where there are people and horses, there are doggies!







Hey ya'll, over there is Quito! Right now you are looking toward the East.



And over here to the West are some big mountains, you might know them as part of the Andes.



I really miss being warm, but you can't beat a view like this!

No comments: