Sunday, July 11, 2010

Day 37: When is the part where they take off their shirts?

I finally made some friends... on my last weekend here! I met a woman from Florida and we decided to meet for coffee this morning. Coffee turned into a walk to the market and then a hole in the wall juice place to catch the final World Cup game and then a really late lunch. Traveling gives you lots of free time...

First of all I would like to say, yes, I watched an entire sporting event on TV and although I was trying to be a good sport - it was torture. I've never watched an entire game of anything. I just don't connect with strangers playing a sport. I like to go to games with people I know in them, but as for strangers - nope. At least soccer goes fast, but how boring was it that it took forever for someone to score? There were some pretty good looking boys playing so that made it, at least, a bit more interesting. I was told that after a game the guys switch shirts, so I was patiently waiting for the moment when those young athletic boys would engage in the ritual... Did it happen so fast that I missed it?

I would like to say that it's my last Sunday in Quito, but I do have one more when I return from the Galapagos. Tomorrow I meet with the LEAD Adventures people and get "orientated", whatever that means. I'll let you know.

As far as my Spanish goes... I'm not telling anyone that I took 5 weeks of classes. It's embarassing really, because I do think I'm worse off now than before I came, for one I know more about the rules, so I am conscience of the fact that I really do sound like an idiot! Ssshhh, don't tell anyone, it will be our secret!

Now I have to concentrate on lowering my expectations. I have a feeling I may have them set a bit too high!

No comments: