Thursday, July 8, 2010

Day 34: eff this lesson, vamos a el cementerio!

The sun was out this morning, which has been a rare event for Quito, so instead of being cooped up in a concrete classroom we (my teacher, Gustavo, and I) decided to go on a little field trip. There is a large cemetery near the Old Town that I've wanted to check out and the rumor is that it's not safe to walk there, so this worked out perfectly. We hailed a taxi and headed for Cementerio de San Diego. Keeping with the traditional South American style there were lots of creepy tombs...


It's rare to see headstones in the grass, I forgot how much I like that part of a cemetery.



Walls and walls...



Apparently this woman was a famous mobster in Quito! She has a giant bust of herself inside that tomb!




No comments: