Friday, December 13, 2013

It's not going away, that giant elephant stinking up the room

Have you ever thought that with the exponentially increasing population, especially the majority of the people being born in the 3rd world, or to 1st world poor people, the system won't be able to maintain status quo? Our broken systems are collapsing and the consequence is less services and more tragedy. I know in my classes alone, I have four kids that are a threat to themselves, with fragile mental health and they are not getting the services they need because who is going to pay for that? So here the kids sit, in a physics class, of all things, totally unsuccessful because of the voices they hear, or their paranoia, thinking everyone, including me is mad at them and hates them. I have a kid that asks me several times a day if I hate him. Imagine walking around a high school with paranoia. Not a very supportive environment. I know I'm supposed to be positive about their future and I truly want them to reach success in their own way, but at this rate, being shoved in a class that doesn't support their growth, they are destined to wander the streets looking for food. I actually have two boys that talk about selling themselves on our main drag, I haven't asked for clarification, I'm supposed to be teaching Newton's Laws, but seriously society, we are failing.

And then there's another school shooting and no one bats and eye. It's an epidemic here in Colorado. Population overload and minimal resources. Where do kids, families, adults get mental health services. But that's ok, we'll just ignore all that and then ask questions like, why did that crazy person who has been crying for help for years bring a gun to school and shoot up a bunch of people and then kill themselves?


But don't worry, I'm busy convincing these kids to come to school and learn that force, mass and acceleration are all related in the formula F=ma. I'm sure that will serve them well when they are waiting in line for a handout at the shelter.

No comments: