Sunday, September 15, 2013

The high life

Colorado boasts 300 of days of sunshine a year. When said that way it seems like an awful lot of rays, but when you say 60 days of rain/clouds/snow/hail, well, then that seems kind of like a lot, and it feels like a lot when those days are consecutive. I'm exaggerating a bit, it hasn't been 60 days, but it's going on day 4 in the city and more for our mountain friends, of rain, continuous rain, chilly rain, and more rain. The burn areas can't hold all that water and the rain just washes away soil, bridges, roads, damns and peoples homes. It's unbelievable.


This is a photo that is circulating the news right now. Taken in Boulder, under one of the bridge bike paths, you can see why the University had to close school for 2 days. Not sure what they'll do tomorrow. It's still raining.

My wish to have more normal hours was foiled when I decided to keep teaching. I'm up and out at the wee hours of the morning, before most of you consider getting out of bed. I arrive at school to start my day at 7 am and in early September this was my view from my classroom window.


Typical Denver day. Looking east at the sun rise. The clouds will clear up in a few hours and it will be the dry sunny day Denverites expect. 

Well last Thursday I showed up to school at my normal 7 am and this is what I saw...


Same view looking east and not a high rise in sight. Literally socked in the middle of the clouds. Coloradans are used to bad weather, but the joke is you just have to wait 20 minutes and the weather changes. Well, it's been 4 days. Friday did clear up a bit and the buildings started to peep out...


Now I am sitting in my living room. Giving thanks. Thanks that I have a warm house. A couch, bed, blankets, food, a roof that doesn't leak, a nice warm, cute puppy to snuggle with. I am grateful to have a safe shelter. Hundreds and hundreds of people have lost their homes in this storm. I am grateful to live near Capitol Hill, which is literally on a hill. 




No comments: