Friday, September 20, 2013

I did eat an apple today

I got my first pair of glasses when I was 4 years old. Looking back I bet you the only reason the doctor gave me glasses was because of my eye coloring, the freckle thing that has plagued me for my entire life. When I meet people now, they comment on how cool it is, but believe me it was the butt of elementary jokes for sure. My nickname was husky, like the dog, and I was this skinny little tomboy kid with two different colored eyes just trying to fit in and be accepted. I became embarrassed and shy about my eye blotch and hid behind glasses for years. Then, two years ago I went to the eye doctor, got a new prescription, bifocals, and somewhere on my way to the DR my glasses were lost. Never to be seen again. Having just paid some crisp one hundred dollar bills for them I turned into stubborn mode and have gone the last 2 years without glasses. At all. When you start new every few years you can recreate your image and no one knows the difference. Of course no one mentioned my lack of glasses since no one knew that I wore them or lost them. So for 35 years I wore glasses and one day I decided, eff it, I'm not going to wear them anymore. It's not like I meant anymore for the rest of my life, just anymore for that time.

So now I'm back in the States with decent insurance and it's time to start getting checked up. Tomorrow is dentist for the broken tooth incident and my self diagnosed 2 cavities, and then the eye doctor. I wouldn't have to use my Saturday to do this except that my crazy ass work day is 10 hours long and I can't just not be there without making sub plans, so thankfully in our crazy overworked society the doctors are now open on Saturdays.

No comments: