Friday, August 30, 2013

Sporkman

I've nicknamed one of my new coworkers "spork", he's like that spoon/fork thing, you know, it should be useful, but it just isn't.

I love being back in Denver. I feel at home, finally. This, hopefully, will last even when it's -5 degrees and pitch dark when I have to get up for work. For now, the unseasonably warm temps will do me just fine.

My life here is backwards from how I've spent the past five years. Inside school I haven't connected with anyone. There are so many people with 3 distinct schedules that I only really see a handful of people and I just really don't like them that much. I have been eating lunch alone in my lab, looking out from the 3rd floor window at the Rockies. Outside of school is awesome. This is the exact opposite scenario I'm used to. I'm just the kind of person that wants to really love what I do and where I work and who I work with. It's not just a job to me. It's impossible to be just a job when those faces look at you each day and you can feel how much they need you.

I tried to start the year super strict and my students told me that I was the least strict teacher they have. Damn, and I thought I was doing such a great job. The problem is that I do want to get to know them and talk to them, so it's ok if we aren't all silent all the time.

We had back to school night last night and of my 120 students, only 5 parents came. Thank freaking goodness it's a 3 day weekend.

No comments: