Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Transorbital lobotomy?!?

Recently a group of teachers at my school decided to get together under the direction of a fantastic English teacher and perform the play "One flew over the cuckoo's nest". They practiced for weeks and the majority of the staff had never been in a play in their lives, but despite this being a side hobby and them amateurs, it was fantastic! Each role was hand picked by the director English teacher and using her keen eye she chose a perfect cast. The venue only held 90 people with the "stage" in the middle of the room, and the audience surrounding. With such an intimate setting I actually felt like I was in the play.

I now understand why people get crushes on movie stars. After the play I felt like I had a connection with the characters, like I had shared something personal with them, and, of course, I had, but they had not reciprocated the sharing. Some staff I had never even talked to in a year and after the play I felt like I knew them, well, as least their character, which obviously is not them, but still.

Do you know the play? I had never read the book or seen the movie, so I only knew that it takes place in an asylum, but other than that I had no clue. Well, one of the characters has been lobotomized and then the main character gets a lobotomy and it got me thinking about a book I read years ago called "My Lobotomy" by Howard Dully. There is also a NPR story of the lobotomy that is fascinating.

We, and by we, I mean I, joke about lobotomies all the time. Wow, what you did was really stupid, you should get a lobotomy. It's a joke, but this is a seriously effed up procedure. I know in the 1950's we didn't know too much, but poking a stick into your eye socket and scrambling the frontal lobe, really?


No comments: