Sunday, April 21, 2013

Pooch Face #2

Saturday morning I chaperoned a group of students so they could go to Doggie House and help socialize the pups. As you can see - I was in heaven.


A Dominican woman has started a non-profit company to help the street dogs of Santo Domingo. In addition to housing abandoned dogs, she goes to local schools to educate people about dogs and emphasize compassion and love. Whether you live here or not, you should probably at least "like" the Doggie House FB page

Last year, with a little pushing from a pushy teacher a group of kids decided to start Doggie House Jr (oh, they have a FB page too, like that one while you are at it). This group focuses on collecting money, toys and food for Doggie House. We also go to the house itself and help bathe and play with the dogs. At any given moment the house is filled with a few older pups and tons of puppies.

Well, on Saturday, sitting in the park with the pups, laughing, really laughing, I realized it's time. Time to get a pup of my own. 


This little tiny runt of a pup hopped around the grass like a bunny. She isn't the boldest, more like a little timid and you know me. I want her. So as of tonight I've emailed the shelter owner and asked if I could take this pup back to the US with me. Now all she needs is a clean bill of health. I'll keep you posted. Oh, and I'm already starting to brainstorm names - is that my fictional brain again, making stories from reality? Is it too soon to pick a name?

No comments: