Friday, March 15, 2013

Street Dogologist

My kids started a Doggie House Jr club at school. Doggie House is a non-profit organization that one of the school parents started. Her goal is to help educate people about spaying and neutering pets, loving mutts, and humane treatment of animals. She takes in dogs from the streets, cleans them up and tries to find homes. In a 3rd world country, with issues like - how am I going to feed my family - finding homes for streets dogs is hard. People that can afford dogs want purebreds, so mutts get overlooked. There is some sort of weird status to owning a pure pit bull when you live in a area where people can't seem to make ends meet.

I like to push my kids into finding a passion and starting a club. I have a few that, like me, are dog lovers, so Doggie House Jr. was born... Now I am, not only surrounded by dog news when I walk the streets or park, but at school as well. This weekend we have our big spring fair and there is a dog costume contest, which will hopefully raise money to spay and neuter pups like this...


Yes, everyday I am bombarded with adorable images. I love the power of social media. No longer can we feign ignorance. You KNOW the issue, so help. Donate time, money, adopt a pup, do something.

No comments: