Sunday, March 17, 2013

Put your armor on - it's Santo Domingo

Decided to walk to the grocery store... It takes a lot of mental preparation to venture out in the streets of this city. The weather is fantastic, beautiful blue skies, slight breeze, 80 degree sun, so what's the problem?

This...


Welcome to the streets of Santo Domingo. This rotting pile of rat infested trash is a 3 minute walk from my apartment, between my home and the closest grocery store. This stink sits in front of an apartment building. Who lives there? Don't they care about the rotting, putrid stink?

I know this is a 3rd world country, but I live in a half way decent neighborhood. It's not the rich area, by far, but it's certainly not the ghetto. In fact, leaving my apartment, I am surrounded by some fairly nice houses, all with giant concrete walls, barbed wire, and guards. Walking down the street you would think that fairly well adjusted citizens lived here. People that understand the inner workings of a community. We must first and foremost cut down on our waste. We must refuse excess packaging. Then, we must dispose of our waste properly. 

I wanted my walk to be positive. I don't enjoy the grocery shopping experience here, so at least the walk could be pleasant. I guess not today.

No comments: