Monday, February 18, 2013

Pico Duarte 2013

Pico Duarte is the highest point in the Caribbean, doesn't sound impressive, well it is. There are a couple of options for the hike, but our school brings a bunch of 9th graders every year and in the spirit of "school is only important in the classroom" we don't want to miss too many days, so we always pick the 3 day hike. I, of course, see the educational value in being in nature for 5 days, but that is a typical science teacher perspective.

The 3 day hike starts in the tiny, minuscule town of La Cienega, outside of Jarabacoa and about 4-5 hours from the Capital. I know what you are thinking... the Dominican Republic, how hard can a hike in the DR be? Isn't the island just a bunch of beaches and trash? Well, keep reading...

Here's the map of our route. We chose this option also because we have mules for emergency and to carry the food, etc...


As you can see the entire route, round trip is 28 miles with an elevation gain of over 6,500 feet each way. La Cienega is 3,660 feet high and the peak is 10,187 feet. I don't know the last time you had an intense workout, but I guarantee it was nothing compared to the three days hiking Pico Duarte. I mean, I know you do squats and stuff, but do you do them for 7 straight hours?

The first part of the trail, La Cienega to Las Tablones is a nice gradual climb in a forested, damp, cool area. I knew from last year that I should book it through this part, so I zipped by, knowing what was ahead...


A few hours go by, we're feeling good and then we come to the ascent. At least this year it was dry. Remember last year? The Pico Mud Hike? This year the trail was still ridiculously steep (I'm not sure what 3rd world countries have against switchbacks), but dry.


The 11 mile first day is broken up by different ecological zones of awesomeness. It is so easy to just think of the DR as beaches spotted with palm trees, but the zones range from bamboo forests to cloud forests, all in a day...




All these photos were taken in between Las Tablones and La Comparticion, a hike that takes anywhere from 6-10 hours. 

I love hiking. I love the quiet solitude, rhythmic steps, deep breaths. Students, on the other hand, don't know about this secret hiking solitude and usually spend the trip singing, talking and in general being loud. My strategy is to let a group get out ahead and then to position myself in the middle of the fast group and the slower groups. It only takes a few hours of hiking to accomplish this and when you are in for a 6 hour day it is totally worth it. My plan paid off when I was surrounded by mountain hummingbirds taking advantage of the lack of predators and the delicious nectar.


I got this guy mid flight. I didn't bring my good camera, so I am super proud of these shots. I had to get pretty close and have good timing for these.


After 7 hours I reached the camp of La Comparticion. I workout 6 days a week, run, lift weights, but this is intense. I wore my hefty boots, but I didn't know I was chaperoning until the day before we left so I hadn't worn them on my feet since Colombia and my heels and toes were not happy. I could feel blisters popping out. I never learn my lesson and of course I didn't bring hiking poles, which last time I swore I would bring.. I don't know what I have against them, but they would have made a huge difference.

At La Comparticion we set up for the night.


40 students, 6 chaperones, a bunch of mules and the Pico staff.


The owner of the tour company that we use brought his beagle, Mia. Mia found my bed and after the 11 miles of hiking decided to take a little nap. 

The other thing you don't think about is the temperature. This is a Caribbean island, how cold could it get? Well, zero, freezing, brrrrr.

Thankfully we could have a fire...


We tried to settle in for an early bedtime, knowing that the summit day was next, but the combination of freezing temps and snoring made the night miserable. I was smart enough to bring ear plugs, but that didn't help keep the mattress from sucking the warmth from my body.

The peak is only 3 miles from camp, so we didn't have to get up before dawn. Instead when I woke up, here's what I saw...



The hike, although much shorter is still intensely steep, but the views on the top are worth it.





My favorite part of the trip is coming back to La Comparticion after the summit and hanging out with the kids. I never get time to just talk to them. 

The next morning, after another freezing sleepless night we woke to this...



Worth it, huh.

The hike down is faster, and easier on your heart, but harder on your knees and toes. I did manage to enjoy the flights of hummingbirds again and find a couple amazing photographic moments...


No comments: