Friday, January 11, 2013

Chores - feeling like I have a regular life

I fired my maid before break. She broke a water pipe in my apartment and flooded not only my apartment, but the two apartments below me. Accident, right? Well, I would think so, except that she tried to hide it, cover it up and not tell me, so that when I woke up the next morning my neighbors had left a note under my door telling me that they were upset that I had flooded their apartments. This was the colloquial straw and I went ahead and paid her christmas bonus and got my keys back. A huge relief really. She only came two days a week, but when it was her day I would dread coming home to see what she had messed up. Whew, and maids here are expensive (compared to what I am used to), she was costing me $130/month and only coming twice a week, and I had to pay her over summer and winter breaks when I didn't even live here and she didn't work. Whew.

The right decision.

And then I came home from a 3 week vacation. I forgot what it was like to clean. Laundry, FLOORS (ugh), shower, kitchen, how can one tiny apartment get so dusty and dirty in only three measly weeks?

It's kind of nice to have a "task". I'm used to having no responsibilities and as amazing as that sounds it gets a little weird after a while. I'll let you know how long these feelings last :)

No comments: