Sunday, December 9, 2012

It's not chili at all

Making chili. Being domestic. It's not the weather, unless 85 degrees screams chili. Nope, there is just something about knowing that it's the holiday season. I haven't lived in the US for 5 years now and I've stuck close to the equator, and I don't have a TV, so what makes the holidays so potent that they seep through all the missing equations? I don't have a car, I don't frequent any stores, and yet my brain senses that I'm supposed to be wrapped in a blanket, sipping on tea, and smelling cinnamon and cloves, when in fact I'm in a tank top and shorts, went for a bike ride in the park, all windows open, could be June, could be March, and yet, I can sense it's not and I should be hibernating.


This is my meatless version since buying meat here disgusts me... I can't stand the sight nor smell of the meat section of any grocery store here - gag.


This time of year has always been a bit of a struggle. I've been away from my family for so long that the holidays are a bit lonely. Don't feel bad for me, I'm not sad, if I were I'd change my behavior, it's just that people put too much energy into this one commercialized holiday that is only benefiting China.

I did make a decision about my "winter" break... after Mary's wedding in Turks and Caicos (which is a week before my break starts) I'm heading to Colombia... I've found a town with an articulated kronosaur in situ. I know, awesome, huh.

No comments: