Friday, October 26, 2012

Lessons from Sandy

Earlier this week we got our first warnings of a circling storm forming in the caribbean waters. As time progressed the warnings got more serious and on Wednesday evening we knew that although Sandy would not plow directly into us, her wide arms of torrential rains would. The government of the DR decided to heed the warnings and cancel all public schools. Well, I work at a private school and for some reason, that I have not been able to wrap my head around, my school decided that although it had been pouring for hours in the wee morning hours of Thursday, not only would we have school, but it would start on time at 7:30 am.

I woke at my normal dreaded 6 am hour and listened to the walls of rain. I immediately checked the school website and nothing. Teachers started texting each other only to find out that school is on. WHAT? I can't even see the road. I know I live on an island, but my apartment is now THE extent of the island, all around me is water.

Ok, well, I did buy super cute rain boots at Cost-co this summer, so I'll give those a go. It is chillier than normal, so I'll wear my awesome hiking pants I got at Athleta, this day might not be so bad.

It's time to leave and the rains have died a little, wait, here comes another flooding downpour, wait, ok, now, no. Crap, I guess I just have to grab my umbrella, cover my backpack with its built in rain cover (I know, awesome, right), put on my raincoat and boots and slosh my way to school...

Now I live a 4 minute walk to school. Chances are I'm not going to get washed away on the way, but what about those teachers that have to commute? Us foreign hires live close to school, but the locals, they live all around the city. Although I'm totally prepared for the rain, I'm getting wet and starting to stew. Who does this school think they are? I can't believe how disrespectful the decision to have school, or at least not delay the start time, is. Is this an ego thing?

It's the end of the quarter here and kids are bombarded with exams. On a day of flooding streets, like this one, I think most kids would have stayed home, but with exams happening we had many kids show up to school. Sounds responsible right? Well look at what they had to get through...


So school starts and the rains are still at it, in fact they are getting heavier, if that is even possible. Our school is a bit spread out and we have a lot of open space, and uncovered walkways. On the way from the parking lot this is what the soccer field looked like.


Kids are trudging their way across campus with water up to their thighs. Classrooms are springing leaks, water is pouring in under the doors. Electricity goes out, but we have a generator, we're used to that here. The middle of campus by the library is now under water...


Is this a surprise? Is anyone surprised? Isn't this EXACTLY what the weather forecast called for? Now what?

The kids are soaked, the teachers are soaked. The classrooms are soaked. The rain is still coming, and it's coming in sheets. Now, that bold, ignorant decision to have school is being challenged. Wait, the administrators are in a meeting. They are talking about letting kids go? We just got here. The drivers just braved the flooded streets and massive rains. We're letting kids go? Now that must have been a tough decision on pride. 

Time for a teacher lunch!

Early evening on Thursday we get a notice that school is canceled for Friday. See we can learn from our mistakes...


We're right next to the "E" in Hurricane. Last remnants of Sandy... Hasta nunca chica.

No comments: