Monday, September 17, 2012

I want it back

It was not my intention to abandon this blog for so long. In fact, I've often thought of my posts, going so far as composing parts in my head, but none of those thoughts met any ink, computer or paper.

My brain never slows down for a second and I've done a bit of questioning and I've discovered that I think traveling has become my drug, and I am now addicted.

I returned from Nepal and fielded the usual questions, "HOW was your trip", etc... and I just couldn't/wouldn't muster the energy to create words to describe what I had just been through. Much of the trip was spent thinking about toilets, or the lack there-of and I chalked that up to getting older and becoming a bit more high maintenance, but now I realize my problem.... I have an addiction. Let me stand here in my living room and shout out to the world "I AM ADDICTED TO TRAVELING", and it's gotten so that my measly jaunts around the world now seem measlier.

I realize that I sound ungrateful, but that is not it at all. I am super grateful, everyday, actually, that I have this life where I can pick up and travel/move/whatever fancies me at the moment. But, what I realized after this summer is that I am a but numb to it all. These trips have become such a usual part of my life that I no longer feel like I used to feel, and that, my friends, scared the shit out of me and I think part of the reason I've been avoiding my blog.

Part of this realization hit me when I got back to the DR and one of my students came to tell me about her summer volunteering in Yellowstone! She was so vibrant, exploding with excitement and the look on her face was of pure joy and it was at that point I realized... I used to be like that. Well, I am like that about some things, but I used to be like that about traveling and the places I've explored. I want it back.

No comments: