Sunday, September 30, 2012

I love October

I've been having this feeling that something spectacular is going to happen.

We recently had a representative from Rachel's Challenge come to our school and present about the project, which basically spawned after Rachel's death at Columbine High School in 1999. This was very emotional for me since I was living in Denver when that happened. The students were attentive, but were barely alive when Columbine even occurred, but even so there were many tears during the presentation.

So Rachel was the first to be killed by the boys and her parents found her journals. In her journals she wrote a lot about kindness and the idea of paying it forward, calling the movement of kindess a chain reaction.

We were presented with 5 challenges:


I've hung this exact sign in my classroom and I've had a lot of time to reflect on each step... I'm at around a 2.5/5, which isn't terrible, but I'd like to work on these steps and incorporate them into my daily actions, but honestly there is no point in anything, especially being a teacher, if we don't encourage, model and teach theses steps. 

Of course I feel that I'm the best at #2, but I also think I could be better. During the presentation the speaker asked the kids (there were probably 500 kids in the gym at the time) to raise their hand if they had a BIG DREAM. Now they are teenagers, but only a few kids raised their hands. Who knows if it was because they didn't want to be nerds, or what, but they didn't raise their hands about having a big dream. Of course, in my head, and because I am kind of bad at #1, I was thinking what puke faces don't have dreams, come on kids, seriously... when the presenter YELLS - "you don't have a big dream??? Well you'd better get one!" WOW, what an amazing way to motivate, not berate the kids, but say, hey, you don't know what you want, well you better get on that. So I have that posted in my room as well.

The power is in us all. I'm working at a school right now and my kids are not going to change the world, they are doing it RIGHT THIS SECOND. 

I want you to take out a sticky note, right now, and write down a big dream. 


I'll wait...

still thinking...

It's not that easy is it? Are we scared? What are we scared of? 


Get a BIG DREAM! and hurry.


No comments: