Monday, January 30, 2012

Stay-cation

Had myself a little "stay-cation" this weekend, and it's a good thing...

Weekends are hard enough, as far as finding constructive things to do, but a three day weekend, forget it. I'm out, and by out, I mean out of town. Just one of the benefits of having zero ties. Well, this weekend was a three day weekend and as of Thursday I still hadn't made plans. Something was stopping me. Some "feeling" that I should just stick around my lonely apartment. I, of course, am second guessing my feeling. Do I really want to stick around here? I never reach out to people so chances are I'll fill my days with books and walking in the park and trying to illegally stream TV shows from the internet. I can manage that for a normal weekend, but a three day weekend? Friday rolls around and a friend says she's leaving that afternoon for the beach up on the north shore. Normally I would jump at the spontaneous chance of an adventure, but something stopped me. I declined her offer, even with her protests of feeling guilty that I'm not coming. I made up some excuse that I didn't want to leave until Saturday morning, but understood that she wanted to get on the road right away and that she should and not to worry about me.

She leaves Friday night, I hang out with some peeps from school and Saturday I get a call. She's been in an accident. She's fine, but while doing a u-turn in the road she missed seeing the motorcycle with 3 passengers coming down the road and they barreled into the passenger side of the car, smashing out the passenger window, crushing in the passenger door and making a bowling ball dent into the windshield on the passenger side. She is fine, a little scratched up from flying glass, the 3 motorcyclists are banged up, bleeding, cut, have to go to the "hospital". It is going to be impossible for you to imagine this town. This little beach town in a 3rd world country with something like a clinic for a "hospital". All I could think is having to be patched up in that clinic.

That instinct feeling, that gut reaction that caused me to pass up on a beach weekend could have saved me from being cut by glass and sitting in a dirty clinic, scared more of the treatment than the actual glass from the window. This gut feeling was strong, strong enough for me not to ignore. I'm a little freaked out about it actually. We are taught to ignore those feelings, not to be so emotional, but thankfully this feeling kept me out from under the dark cloud of drama that was following her.

No comments: