Sunday, April 11, 2010

Quiet Weekend

It only took me 5 days of leaving my computer connected to the internet, but I finally uploaded my digital pictures to picasa. I'm worried about my computer crashing, and of course now that I've written it... Just being responsible, a new hat for me.

I did invest in a new computer. One of the little 10" mini computers. I hate lugging around this macbook. It has been a great computer, but it's so heavy. That and it feels like my entire life is stored on here. With only 4 rubbermaid bins of possessions this computer has its sentimental value to me.

I went on a little shopping spree this weekend. In addition to the computer - which I got here in Santa Cruz - I've been an online whore. My roommates are out of town and that means that the internet is free! I've been poking around and started to shop. Of course I can't actually get anything delivered to me from a website, so I am shipping everything to Jane and she's going to pack it up and mail it down. The mail situation has been a challenge. I've been away from home for a long time and last year in Burma there was no way I'd get any packages, so my family just got used to the fact that I wasn't around and they couldn't send me anything... it's been kind of sad when my roommate gets little cards and such and I have an empty box, so I talked my mom into trying it again. We've discovered that you have to send it in a padded envelope, for some reason the box is too much for the Bolivian mail system and it "disappears". My other roommate is still waiting on two boxes that were shipped last July...

I'm thinking ahead for my summer plans. I've decided not to go back to the US at all this summer. The plan is to spend 8 weeks in Ecuador. I'll be working on two different projects. One, the animal conservation center, is in the Andes so it'll be cold and hard work. I've been thinking about what I want to do when I grow up and you all know how much I really do love being a teacher, but it may be time to move on. My teaching license expires in 2014... hummm, what shall I do after that. I can see myself working with animals and I love that when I told my dad, his comment was, "there's no money in that." As if there's "money" in teaching. Ha, dad, you know I'm not motivated by money. At all really. Now that I've paid most of my debt (almost done with that damn student loan) I was thinking, huh, maybe I could take some time off. No, money doesn't motivate me.

I need to fill you in on Cretaceous Park and my Sucre trip. It's going to have to be another time. I'm old school, can't stand being on the internet too long...

No comments: