Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Winter woes commence

You know you've crossed a line of concern when you are dreaming of a remote car starter from Santa. Just think, when it's 30 degrees and windy, sleeting, and pitch dark, you can push a button and get that car warmed up while standing next to your blasting air duct.

Daylight savings is going to be the death of me. I haven't experienced this ridiculous, unnecessary tradition for 5 years and although the dark morning are quite dreadful the dark afternoons are going to be murderous.

I didn't take the warm tropics for granted. I noticed each day wearing my shorts and t-shirt and gave a little thanks. I haven't shown more than a few inches of skin for over a month now. It's strange to be back and wrapped up. It's strange to wear socks that aren't athletic socks. Winter gloves, hat and a giant down coat. I've also been dreaming of a more giant down coat with a hood. Three hundred dollars seems a small price to pay to be able to venture outside without wanting to cry. The frigid air burns my lungs. I'll adjust. Well, that is a lie. I lived here for 12 years and never got used to the winter. Why does North America have to be so far North?

No comments: