Tuesday, June 25, 2013

You shall not defy death

One of my pet peeves about being home is the incessant obsession over TV and other people's lives. The jerk who decided to walk across the Grand Canyon on a tight rope has been all over the media and in the DR I probably would have missed the news entirely, but here, everywhere you turn there is more footage, radio talk, etc about this ass who has a family, kids and is walking on a 2 inch wire without any safety. I think he is an irresponsible douche bag that doesn't deserve a minute of coverage, and yet here we are talking about him. Would you have cared if he had safety harness? I bet his children would have. He is a father and when you do that, when you decide to have kids, bring a life into this world that you are now responsible for, you give up your right to take death risks beyond the norm. I knew this part of my culture would be challenging for me. I have decided that when I move into my own place that I am not going to get a TV. It is too easy to get distracted and turn that box on and just flip. There's that self control issue again. Is the real self control not buying the item, or buying it and then managing yourself when it's around?



Speaking of death defying risks, my puppy got me up at 5 and while she was grooming herself by the pool, she leaned back and - splash - went right in... I panicked and grabbed her right away, in retrospect I should have calmly encouraged her to swim to the steps...

If you had your own blog, do you think you would try to live a more interesting life?

No comments: