Thursday, February 7, 2013

I'm ready for it, you know, the thing

For years I've had 4 words that are banned in my classroom. I actually have them posted with big circles and lines through them and I point to the words daily.

it
thing
they
stuff

You may not for any reason use those words in my class, in written or oral communication. As a science teacher I'm used to kids trying to describe complex processes with sentences like
"it starts when the stuff mixes and they turn colors"
Um, what?

In my non-teacher life, like texting, or even blogging, I use "it" a lot. Probably too much, actually.  In class I have to take my time and choose my words wisely. I often stop and emphasize that I am searching for the correct noun to describe what I am discussing. This skill of knowing the time and place to use certain behaviors is a concept that I understanding completely.

Ok, so there is this theory that the Universe doesn't hear negatives. For example, when you say things like, "I don't want to be alone" the Universe actually hears "be alone". Innnnnnteresting, right? A super amazing coworker of mine pointed this out in the teacher's lounge only a few weeks ago, and since then I've really been thinking about how I communicate with others and more importantly myself. I don't know about you, but my brain races. Constantly. For some reason I've been conditioned to self talk in a very negative way. In fact, I communicate in most situations with negatives. I don't want this or that, I hate this or that, this or that pisses me off. Well, what do I want? What do I love, what makes me happy?

Today after school a student that is an amazing person, but struggling academically came to me and we started talking. The conversation somehow rolled around to word choice, and it hit me like a brick. I need to use this banned word technique with myself! From now on, I will make a conscience effort to say what I want, to speak in the positive, to turn my language around, so that my communication with the Universe, other people and myself is clear, direct and specific, but most importantly, positive.

For kids that are learning how to communicate better teachers often use sentence starters or words banks. I think I need a word bank, let me rephrase that, I have a word bank that I use to practice my positive vocabulary.

No comments: