Sunday, April 24, 2011

the fine lines

It's official - I like reading on my kindle better than an actual book. I know what you are thinking... those pages, turning each page, flipping back and forth, the smell of a book, well, I fought with that for a year or so, but have reached the point that the kindle is just better. Easier to hold, light, compact, had a built in dictionary, which I use constantly, and right now I have 86 books traveling around with me.

Another great quality... being able to open Amazon and push a button and start reading. Also, Amazon now has these "kindle singles", short stories, for less than $2. I bought "The Saint" by Oliver Broudy and am reading it now. Isn't it funny that sometimes you pick up a book that has EVERYTHING to do with the present moment in your life?

Well, I just returned from my last big South America trip for a while and spent a few days in Iguazu Falls, on both the Argentina side and the Brazil side. The views of the waterfalls are fantastically amazing. My limited english skills can not even begin to do the falls justice. But, of course, as my brain usually does, my thoughts wander in and out of the obvious. I start thinking and thinking deeper and sometimes I have all the thoughts figured out and ready to record, but the minute I try to form actual words, the idea escapes me. And then, I read.

I am 3/4 of the way through The Saint, a short book about a man's search. Search for what? Everything, feeling, spirituality, himself, meaning, you name it. I just read a section that I want to save for later, so that I can contemplate my search...

"... borders were good only for being ignored. Most were simply relics of a misbegotten attempt at organization that ultimately did more to hinder than to aid. They were strewn across the land like ancient railway trestles, like moldering wrecks. It was the nature of borders - whether separating countries or people - to gradually take on far more importance than was actually useful. They assumed for themselves and unearned air of permanence, which, when not checked, gradually became a hindrance."

"... borders are designed to make you frightened of what lies on the other side."

No comments: