Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The chance to give

As you know, my dad is sponsoring Ana as my birthday present from last year. She lives here in Santa Cruz de la Sierra, well out in an area called Plan tres mil, which is a dirt section of the city about 25 minutes from the city center. Traveling out to her house you pass cows, horses, hundreds of street dogs and chickens in the streets. The roads quickly turn to dirt and after the heavy rains Monday the mud was thick and gooey.

I don't know why, but it's taken me 3 months to call and make an appointment to see Ana again. The last time I visited I was completely overwhelmed and somewhere deep inside I just wasn't ready for that yet. Luckily I still have the strong desire to please my family, so after weeks of them bugging me, I decided to call and set up another visit. Perfect timing, actually, because Ana turns 15 on the 5th of December. 

I went to a local clothes market and got 36 articles of clothing for $35. I went to a walmart-ish store and bought markers, notebooks, clay, pens, etc. My mom sent stickers and books. With three bags of gifts I headed to the CFCA office so they could drive me to Ana's house. 

This time her mom was there and as we walk up to the "door" I see that she has set the table and cooked a feast for me! Ana comes running over and immediately hugs me and holds on to me, just like last time. It amazes me how close to her I feel when she is holding on so tight. We walk up to the table that is outside the house, and they offer me the only chair that actually has a back. The table is covered with a cloth and there is a bowl of empanadas and juice ready to be served. Ana's mom grabs my hand and starts talking, very fast, in Spanish.



The next thing I know, she is crying and grabs on to me.


You can't imagine what this feels like. The grace, and honesty of this women. This 46 year old women, who has 9 children and lives in a shack with a dirt floor. A woman who does not have a bathroom to clean or any running water to prepare food with. She is full of love and kindness. She is grateful. Grateful for the small amount my dad sends her family each month. She thanks me over and over. It touches my soul. Changes me. How can anyone care about those name brand things? How can I? I can't.


We gather ourselves and pose for some photos. There is a CFCA translator, driver and the church nun with us and they all want photos.


Next thing you know the whole family is there. Ana is next to me in the purple. Look at her smile. Look at her sister in the pink shirt. I'm the first to get frustrated at people who just keep having kids, but being with them changes me. 


On the left is the nun that works with Ana. The driver for CFCA is on the right. In front of me is locro. A traditional Bolivia soup that is VERY basic. The family has chickens and one was slaughtered for my visit. Ana's father works out in the campo (country) so was gone working while I was there, but before he left he wrung a chicken's neck in my honor.


Empanada filled with cheese and sprinkled with sugar. Ana and I are goofing off. I just can't get over how big her smile is.


As the time to leave nears, her smile becomes smaller. She starts to get teary eyed. The family tells me that she has been sick and having problems breathing. She has not visited a doctor. I ask about vitamins and know that I will ask my mom to send some. They tell me that the kids have parasites and need the medicine before they can actually take vitamins. My mind is racing with things I can do for this family. Little things. Buy parasite medicine, vitamins. I feel butterflies in my stomach, thinking about how I can help.


Take a good look at their house. No door, dirt floor. It feels like a home. I know it's hard to believe, but it does. As we drive back to the city and I get closer to my big, comfortable house, with running water and toilets I am consumed with the thought that my dad and mom NEED to come here. My dad needs to see what his generosity is doing. Yes, he could save the money it would cost for a plane ticket and just donate it, but Ana and her family need to meet him. This generous, kind, compassionate man who's tiny effort is so huge. I am proud to be his daughter. 

6 comments:

NaRiHo said...

And your Dad & Mom are very proud of you and Mary!
Your Dad has always been kind and he has always had a beautiful heart !

Jane said...

I cried reading your blog. How I wish I could go get the family and bring them to NC.

Laura said...

One of your best posts, Lisa. You are a wonderful and caring person who I am happy to call my friend!

Carol said...

Lisa just wanted to let you know that I am bawling my eyes out. You are a very caring and passionate women who should be very proud of herself. And you're right about your Dad. He was, is, and always will be my HERO!!!!!

drifter.gypsy said...

I write this through tears- well done my friend. Your compassion comes through in your writing and in the hugs you are giving that family (and we all know how rare those are!) Your dad is a fortunate man to have such a giving daughter. And Ana is fortunate to have your kindness and love. Please keep us updated on her health.

AJH said...

I cried, too. I can't imagine what it must've felt like to be there.