Sunday, July 25, 2010

20 July - Day 46; People pay to do this?

At the reserve... and... it´s really beautiful, really...



you ready for the BIG BUTT... whew - deep breath- bugs, so many that you need to wear a bug hat. OK I can wear one, too bad no one told me to bring one, I actually own a bug hat and have it in Bolivia with me - that way I wouldn´t need to borrow a moldy, stinky one. Work - manuel labor - I actually enjoy a bit of manuel labor and when you are on kitchen duty you get out of work, but I´d much rather be in the reserve working than in the kitchen!



Reforestation of native species is the goal. Pull out the invasive blackberry bushes - which have taken over and are covered with nasty thorns, and plant native trees. I planted 8 trees today! That´s cool. Everything is covered in mud. The last place did a really good job cleaning up even when someone broke the rules and walked with their boots in a forbidden zone. This place appears to make no effort to clean and even though they force you to take off your boots the floor is covered in dirt and now your socks are filth. A nice brush-like broom would fix this problem.

Lunch was OK - rice and meat - you are in charge of washing your own plate - in cold water with a nasty sponge - my mom would have a heart attack.

OK - I´ve saved the best for last and I haven´t even had the full experience yet... the sleeping quarters! I´m sad that they other guy planted the bed bug idea in my head because the matresses are repulsive - all of them. I´ve sprayed the crap out of one with bug spray and then they put sheets on a different bed. Oh - it´s gross. I asked about a blanket or something - and they were like, "oh" you didn´t bring your own sleeping bag? Well... nooo... just like the bug hat, that wasn´t on the "list". Damn, now I have to use a sleeping bag from here. How am I ever going to sleep? I´m repulsed just thinking of getting into that bed. I´m trying to think back to girl scout camp... when I was - what - 8 years old... I don´t remember the sleeping quarters - were they gross?

1 comment:

ahondo said...

so... the rubber boots were worth it?!??