Sunday, June 13, 2010

Day 9: Grey Sunday

Decided to head to the mall and try to find the other two big malls here. Thought, ok, it's Sunday, so it'll be a nice leisurely walk to the mall from my house... Wait, what are all those people down there? Quito had it's 50th annuel 15 K run today. There were 1000's of people. It was like a real city. People wearing their "Marathon" (it's the name of a sporting goods store here) shirts were all over the place. By the time I ventured out of my house the race must have been over because the people were all congregating around the north end of the big park here.

I was a little overwhelmed because I had my mind set on a nice relaxing walk. I walked around for about 45 minutes and realized that I was really hungry. I headed up to the big food court in the mall and decided it was time for me to have some Taco Bell. If I were back home I would have gone to Moe's or Chipotle, but I didn't have that choice. It was yummy and tasted just like I expected. People always wonder why chains are so popular and it's because you know exactly what you are getting - no surprises. That's why we love starbucks so much. I know what my favorite drink is going to taste like before I take my first sip. Don't get me wrong, I love trying new things, but sometimes I want that comfort taste.

I did find a little pharmacy with the shampoo I really like so I spent some money there and decided it was time to take a break. I took a two hour awesome nap.

After I decided to get up I headed to the big Parque Carolina and walked around the whole thing. The city has done such a fantastic job with their parks. Places for skateboards, mountain bike trails, playgrounds, a botanic garden, the musuem of science is in the park. Reminds me of a mix of City Park and Wash Park in Denver. Despite the overcast grey day, there were tons of peole out and about. I pranced around the park with my headphones and felt good!

No comments: