Monday, June 7, 2010

Day 3: Six hours is a lot of Spanish and mi casa nueva

Somehow the hostel I booked for the two nights before my class was really close to the school, so this morning I got up, ate breakfast alone (I'm still feeling it, but getting more used to it) and dragged all my luggage over to the school.

After a few logistical things I met Gustavo and we started my lesson! I am so glad that I took that one week of lessons in Sucre. My teacher there was fluent in English as well and I was able to get a good background on the language of Spanish. Gustavo doesn't speak much English at all and without a bit of a background I would have been lost. But thankfully I have a tiny bit of knowledge and we took off running. I told them I knew a little less than I do so I could review, and let me tell you that was a fantastic idea!

So the morning was 8:30 - 12:30! It went by so fast, really. For lunch I practiced eating alone again and brought my Kindle so I felt more comfortable. I just don't know what to do with myself when I eat alone...

At 1:30 I went back to school and spent the next two hours talking and listening to my teacher, Marta! There's a long story about the name Marta, but basically my friend told the pilates instructor in Santa Cruz that my name was Marta and I've been going by that for 10 months. So when they called for Marta, I thought it was for me!

Anyway, back to the Spanish... Marta had flash cards (index cards are IMPOSSIBLE to find here) made of pieces of cut up paper and we played a game where I had to pick a noun and act it out for her to guess and then she did the same to me. It was awesome! This is exactly what I was looking for - time to practice in a formal setting. It's so hard to practice when you get "home". Speaking of home...

Here is my new room for the next 5 weeks...



Beautiful, I know. It's actually really big and sparsly furinished. Behind the photo is a closet that is more than enough room for my one suitcase.

Here is the view from my room!



I'll be sure to get another photo when it's not so cloudy. You are looking to the West.

After I put my bags down and had a tour I headed straight for the grocercy store. Damn I forgot I was walking and couldn't buy that much stuff. That's ok, I'll probably have time to go shopping every day. OH and the grocery store is in a little MALL! Yes an actual mall with actual stores. I am so happy to find "normal" stores in Quito. Don't get me wrong - I love market shopping. Right now I am wearing a pair of J Crew pajama pants that I got for $2 and a North Face hoodie that was $6. I love the mercado, but there is something to be said for mall stores.

We have a full kitchen downstairs. When I say we, I mean that there are at least 3 other people living here somewhat long term and a "manager" from the language school. My fanstastic dinner tonight was a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and tea. I ate alone, but in the house, so I don't think that counts.

1 comment:

Jane said...

Sounds like you are having fun. Get really fluent, so you can be our tour guide.