Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Day 19: Talk about a spoiled brat!

You would have thought I'd been tortured this past week - with my behavior and all... It has only been ONE week without internet, but I think that coupled with the fact that the weather has been super crappy, left me in one terrible mood! Also, spending the whole day trying to speak another language and then coming home to no one has been tough. Before the internet crapped out I had been talking to my family more often than usual. It was nice to come home and speak English to people that know me. This past week has been difficult to say the least.

I am still feeling the residual crappy mood for today during a lesson in which I truely didn't GET it, I almost had tears come to my eyes! My brain is so tired and she was trying to teach me about "complementos indirectos" and it wasn't sinking in. Tomorrow I'm going to ask if I can take her out for a snack during break, just to give myself a break too! Six hours a day is a lot!

I know, I know, I bring this stuff on myself... it makes life interesting really. I have known for a while that I don't like getting bogged down in a routine for too long, which is why being a teacher is so great. My routine each year changes enough to keep life interesting and well, the breaks and traveling help too! So I've been here for 19 days now and I'm ready for a bit of a change.

Tomorrow two teachers from Bolivia show up in Quito. I haven't had much contact with them so I don't know if we'll hook up or not, but Saturday night I am leaving for the organic farm. This is perfect timing. The farm is on the Ecuadorian coast and therefore much, much warmer. This will give me a change to still study Spanish (I'll have 4 hours of classes per day) and to explore the farm. I think we go horseback riding, which should be interesting since the last time I was on a horse I had a little incident and haven't been on one since.
So a professor from the school goes with me and we spend 5 days at the farm and then head back to Quito.

I do really like this city, but I think I'll have to pass on living here - the weather is just not suitable for me. I'll keep looking for my dream location. People always ask me where I want to live and I tell them, well hell, if I knew that, I would live there!

No comments: