Sunday, November 19, 2017

My brain obviously does not work like yours.

I know the holidays are supposed to feel joyous, surrounded by excess food, family, laughter, warmth. Is that really how you feel? It must be, because you are already posting, and discussing.

For me, the holidays exemplify waste, living in excess, with unnecessary things. I don't feel surrounded by love, I feel surrounded by idiocracy. Dead trees in houses covered in junk. Lights strewn everywhere, pulling from the grid. Burning natural gas. Landfills with glossy paper that took less than 1 second to pull off and discarded only to reveal an unwanted, unnecessary gift. Cooking for 12 people when you only have a family of 4. Throwing away boxes, piles, food. Complaining that there needs to be two trash pick ups this week.


Pressure to conform. To buy you that unwanted gift I have to decide what to give up or how much to go in debt.

Fake smiles. How are you? Fine. You don't really want to know.

How do you do it? How do you pass through each dark, cold day singing carols, shoving food into your face?

Do you have anxious thoughts? How do you block them out? What is your secret? 

No comments: