Tuesday, March 17, 2015

My Ren-like self

I was teaching about the classes of chordates and the mudskipper had an appearance in our text book. When it became clear that my students didn't know about the mudskipper, I quickly jumped on my secret youtube, get around the school privacy pages, access, and found this: (it's totally worth the next 5 minutes of your life)


My students were literally falling out of their seats laughing as the males foolishly fought, sighing and pointing as the little baby appeared, and gasping in aw when the males transported oxygen to the egg chamber. It was a beautiful moment in teaching, when, without any preplanning, everything falls into place. At the end of class my students left saying, "the mudskipper is my NEW FAVORITE animal!"

I spent the rest of the day thinking about the mudskipper and, therefore, Ren and Stimpy. It's been years, like 24 of them, since I watched Ren and Stimpy, but watch I sure did. I remember the Muddy Mudskipper Show and decided that I should youtube it.

I had little luck finding the part of the show about Muddy, but I did find this:


AND I realized, oh my god, I am Ren. 

Daily I say things like this:

"WHAT? You don't have your homework again? Do I need to stab you with a pencil and make you bleed and form a scar so that when you get home you will remember that you have homework?"

"Do that again and I will come over there and cut out your tongue with these dirty scissors that I cut the sheep heart with."

"I don't have an icepick, but I could give you a transorbital lobotomy with this pencil."

"If I pinch you really hard on the back of the arm, will you associate your inappropriate behavior with pain and like a Pavlovian response, know that bad behavior = pinch = pain?"

No comments: