Friday, July 15, 2016

Grateful, but...

Before I describe my final full day of field work in Andorra, I'd like to share some extreme sad news. Yesterday I received a group text from my school informing us that one of my 7th graders from last year, so a 13 year old, was struck by a car while riding his skateboard and he is brain dead, and waiting to find donors for his organs before he is taken off life support. 

I have been teaching for 15 years and this has never happened to me. I am incredibly sad and when I woke up to hike this morning I knew that I would spend the day thinking of him. 


We started our trek up Vall de Rialb and this quiet, slightly uphill path was just what I needed. 


We spent the day collecting data in a magnificent glacial valley. I spent much of the day aching for the family who has to outlive their son.



I decided to join the camera team again. This is my favorite job because you get to hike straight up, exhausting every muscle, gasping for air, and at every turn there is another spectacular view that chips away at the pessimist brain that is stuck in my skull. 

My student was not only in my science class, but he also took my environmental science elective. I smiled knowing that he would think this place is as amazing as I do. 



This is our final night here in Andorra. The place we've been calling home is Hotel Bringue. 


My next journey is to hike part of the el Camino de Santiago. I'll keep you posted. 

No comments: