Wednesday, June 12, 2013

It's the bliss, not the crap, that we remember


I've been reading the new Jodi Picoult novel, "Storyteller" and proctoring exams is a perfect time to catch up on some quiet time. I was sitting in a math exam when I came across this quote from her book. I'm fascinated by survival, the will to survive. I know I have an IPad and could have probably marked this quote digitally, but I grabbed a scrap piece of paper, jotted down the quote and put it in my lunch bag. It's sitting on my dresser right now. I love reading survivor stories, but I've often reflected that I wouldn't last a day in horrible conditions. For a while I went on a spree of reading locked up abroad books and it always amazed me that people could see through the absolute horror and keep on living. I guess it's all in perspective, isn't it. If you can take a minute each day to decide why your life is worth living, then you'll be happier, right? Sometimes each day is just surviving, but it's those blissful moments that our brain cells hold on to. Those moments keep us going regardless of our surroundings. 

No comments: