Friday, June 14, 2013

ay ay ay

My final day working in Santo Domingo. As I pack up to leave I keep getting asked what I'm going to miss. Of course the students, my coworkers, the fantastic palm tree lined beaches, but this city, ay, this city. I am shocked when I hear that people like this city, or find this city redeeming in any way. You know how I feel about the trash, rats, dirty air, but let me share what just came up on my news feed...
Dominicans could have a 911 emergency system by yearend

Here's why this is so infuriating. In this city, yes, there are slums, no water systems, beggars, all that you imagine when you think 3rd world. However, and it's a big however, there is a TON of money here. This city is bursting with high end malls. Every time you turn around there is more construction. These malls are filled with stores like Coach, Louis Vuitton, Cartier, super expensive, unnecessary stores. There are tons of high end restaurants here and people go to them. There is money in this city. You go a bit north and there is a neighborhood of mansions. Ok, so Santo Domingo has high end malls, restaurants, people driving Mercedes, BMW's and there isn't a 911 system!!! Better yet, in the article is says that the US is going to donate the technology needed to get this thing underway, WHAT? Why would the US donate money to a government that is oozing with pesos? A country where people fly their helicopter across the city. A country where the tax to eat at a restaurant or stay in a hotel adds up to 28%. Dominican Republic, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

No comments: