Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Southwest DR

Where in the world is Barahona? Well, take a look at the map and find the black arrow and that was my weekend destination. Well, at least the location of the hotel, almost, the hotel was about 10km south the the bustling (that's a joke) town of Barahona.


We did find a tiny little supermercado in town and I must have been dehydrated because I spent a lot of time wandering in the drink isle and stumbled across this...


If it's intentional that is bold, but if it's not, I can only imagine the marketing people in Spain trying to figure out an appropriate ad campaign. As much as I hate grocery shopping I sure do like exploring random products in foreign countries.

Our hotel was right next to el Quemaito beach and this was the view from our living area.


Take a guess, what do you think this is?


Bougainvillas around the hotel.


I have seen three amazing sunrises on my three recent adventures. You know what a morning person I am - not one at all, but there is something about waking up early to this scene that inspires the most grumpy morning person to peace.


The cliffs near el Quemaito


South of Barahona is a beach area called San Rafael. Here there are man made rock pools and little fish shacks set up along a pebbly beach.



Rice, beans, fried plantains and fried fish are on the menu. I picked as much fish meat off the carcass as I could and gave the scraps to this gorgeous pooch.


The next adventure was to drive to Bahia de las Aguilas, which is one of the secret treasures of the island, mostly because it is so far out of the way and there aren't any real touristy towns close enough to draw that many people. On the long drive down one of the cars in our three car caravan got a flat tire and we stopped in a little town for a quick fix. This is what I saw down the street.



Just chillin' in my undies with a bull whip.


Of course I looked for the cemetery... Not a bad burial plot... ocean view grave, anyone? 

After a few more hours of desert fauna and cow fields we came to our boat dock. You can either 4 wheel drive to the beach or take a short boat ride. I don't think the car rental people would have appreciated the road conditions, so we chipped in to rent a boat. 


I keep finding super cool lizards. One downfall and benefit of this island is the lack of vertebrates. Unless you can fly here or hitch a ride you can't get here and we don't have any deer, raccoons, squirrels, opossum, venomous snakes, monkeys, etc... It's kind of strange actually, because sometimes you'll be standing in a super cool forest and wondering where the animals are. 




Bahia de las Aguilas





The desert-ish climate doesn't allow the tall palms to grow and the lack of shade was definitely a problem. It was really hot and this is literally a beach in the middle of no where with NO services. It's hard for us North Americanos to imagine a place exists that doesn't have even a vending machine. What you bring is what you get. I would have paid $5 for an ice cold lemonade.

After a few hours at the beach we headed back to Barahona. Here's some of the views. Where does this look like?



A little roadside geology, anyone?



Monday was the independence day for the DR, so we had the day off of school. On that morning I strolled down to el Quemaito beach and took these shots.





Stay tuned for my next DR adventure. I don't get another day off until spring break, which is the first week of April. I KNOW, a full month with no breaks, how will I do it?

No comments: