Saturday, February 27, 2010

Street Dogs

I've been busy searching the internet for volunteer opportunities for this summer. Instead of going home, I want to spend my 8 weeks doing something. I've decided that I want to work with animals. Maybe wildlife or maybe domestic, I haven't decided. There are a ton of opportunities out there! I've sent a application to an organization that does research with turtles on the Galapagos. I've also sent an email to a Bolivian wildlife center. During my search I found a website of an organization in Bolivia that helps with domestic animals and I started clicking on their links only to find the WSPA - the World Society for Protection of Animals. In just a few clicks I found information about a book that has been published about street dogs.



 Damn, this was my idea. I've had this idea for a few years now, but you know, life is busy and well I don't really know how to go about publishing a book. The author, who is ironically, a Rhode Islander, traveled to Puerto Rico and Mexico and took photographs of street dogs there.

Now my street dog photographic library is a bit more extensive. I've now collected photos from Burma, Thailand, Laos, Bolivia, Peru, Argentina, with more to come. In the places I've lived I have dogs from several cities... Now I have been thinking about a "theme" for the book. I was thinking of doing a little commentary of the different places I've been and then photos of the dogs. I'm not a photographer, so the shots aren't fantastic. The dogs have to do the speaking in the photo and I have to link it to something that would be interesting. Recently I decided to make sure I get the dog as part of a larger photograph, not just a dog photo that could have been taken anywhere, but with cultural stuff in the photo as well. I don't need and am not motivated by money so I would like this project to donate 100% of the profits to organizations out there that are helping. Anyone have any connections with a publisher? Anyone want to join in and help get this thing going?

Here's some photos from my collection...

This pup was sleeping along the Mekong River in Vientiane, Laos.


Just hanging out by the huge Reclining Buddha in Yangon, Burma.


Along the beach of Ngapali in Western Burma.


This pup had two different colored eyes. Just hanging out by the La Paz street vendors.


Machu Picchu pup.



On the streets of Tarija, Bolivia.


San Jose de Chiquitos, Bolivia seemed to have more street dogs than people.

What do you think?


1 comment:

NaRiHo said...

You have to do this.. your pictures are awesome and your book would be just amazing... I agree that your book would be different and I also believe it would be such a winner! Do it for all the Winnies of the world... like your Dad said, you can make it better!