Sunday, January 31, 2010

Inca Trail - January '10

Hiking the Inca Trail was unique in that most hikes I've been on have the goal of getting to the top. Well as you can see - Macchu Pichu isn't at the top.



So, no problem, right, well yes, but the actual Inca Trail that was built goes over 2 mountain passes to get to the actual site of Macchu Pichu. Compared to the altitude in the Rocky Mountains, the elevation wasn't the problem, the problem was that the Inca's had a one track mind... get over the top in the shortest distance possible... so, instead of the normal switchbacks that we are used to in the US, the path over the passes in Peru are literally straight up and down, as in stairs.

This does cut out some distance, but it made for a steep climb. At one point there are 2,000 stairs going down from the pass. I've been lucky in my life to have not had any knee problems (yes, I'm knocking on wood right now), so I was extra cautious with those steps. Damaging my knees to hike the Inca trail would not have been worth it.

I really did enjoy the 4 day hike. Laura and I signed up without knowing who else would be in our group and we ended up with a fantastic group.



No comments: