Thursday, February 28, 2013

Puppy love

For the past few days all I can think about is getting a dog. I came home tonight and searched the available adoptions in the town where my sister lives. I found a dog here that I love, she is a bit older, has had some pups and is in need of a good home, but do I dare go through that process of trying to get her to the US? I live in a 3rd world country so I see street dogs every day, but yesterday, on a midweek holiday day off, I rented a car and starting in the park that morning I managed to see 3 dead dogs. In ONE day. Dogs, dogs, dogs, on my mind, in my thoughts, and when I sat down for my chips and salsa dinner it hit me... February 26 marked the 5 year anniversary of Winnie's death. This girl...


I know this sounds ridiculous, but she really really meant a lot to me. I've written about Winnie several times, (2011, 2010, 2008) but still, 5 years later, miss her every day. The click clack of her claws on the hardwood floors, her slurping sounds while she groomed herself like a cat. Her stubbornness. At 25, when I got Winnie, I was a total pushover and didn't have the first clue about training a dog, so she ended up being a pretty unmannered dog. Part of my fleeing the US 5 years ago was because of this enormous loss. 

No dog will ever replace Winnie, but I am ready to share my life with a dog again. I am excited about this revelation! I'm a firm believer in dog adoption, don't get me started on paying for a dog, and encouraging breeding and puppy mills. I'll take a mutt any day. My new dog is going to find me. I can't wait :)

I miss you a lot Win...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can't wait for you to have a dog, a new love to pour yourself into. Next to JA (and narrowly), Pup is the love of my life.