Monday, January 28, 2013

The first step?

Here's a letter I recently sent: (names have been blocked to protect the evil)


Hi Mr. Mann,
  I need to talk to you about next year. I feel that I am receiving multiple messages (that the universe is sending) to move on from X School. This feeling actually is not totally about X School, it's more about being a bored classroom teacher, and trying to find my place in the world. In the fall I started realizing that after 10 years of teaching I need a change. I love the field of education. I love being a part of creating our future, but I do not feel successful or like I'm succeeding while teaching physical science, 5 classes, 3 preps. I've taken on so many other activities because that is where I need to be, but I can't do both jobs. Being a part of the clubs I have created and the big project and working with Amazing student #1, #2 and #3 has made be a better person, but the day to day droll is killing me. I also want to see bigger changes and with the structure of our department remaining the same there will be another wasted year.

  So before break I kept having this feeling that I was supposed to take a leap of faith, and of course the only thing I'm really prepared to do is be a teacher, so I didn't know where to start looking for my future, except for TIE online and that is only more teaching jobs, which ironically, there isn't much out there. Sign? So do I just resign without a job? Well, I think that's what a leap of faith is, but I'm scared. But that is a lousy reason to stay in a job.

 When I came back from break to find out about the parent complaint for XY Class I was crushed. My job is me. My own parents tell me not to take this personally, but it is personal, I AM that person who puts herself out there and gives all I can to the kids. Not one person from school has taken the time to sit down and resolve this issue. I feel awful dealing with that class, I dread that class, and am on edge with all my decision making, doubting myself and thinking - another sign?

  And then the letter from Mrs. Evil Witch comes... one of the parents who in the past has messaged me to tell me what a difference I have made in her children's lives. I think of the time and effort and energy I have spent with her child - who doesn't have good energy and actually terrifies me sometimes, and this is how she repays me??? I am again, only a few weeks later, crushed, and now angry, bitter and this morning I felt that message loud and clear. I know there was conflict with this trip from the beginning, but I always felt that it was an amazing experience for our kids and I pushed it because when I went to that amazing place it changed my life, especially my environmentally conscience thoughts. I wanted that for our kids.

The message? I am not supposed to be doing this and the universe is going to ensure that I don't, so if I don't make a choice now, the universe will and it's not going to be pretty. You don't want that, X School doesn't want that and Mr. Boss especially doesn't want that. This is what enveloped me in the wee hours of Saturday morning. My life is my job here.

  I don't know what to do. I am reaching out to you for support. The way I feel at this moment and have felt for a while is that it is best for me and X School if I resign. I love the kids too much to leave on a bad note and I will complete all my projects until the school year ends. I will use all the remaining energy I have to continue weekend trips, and move my clubs forward as best as I can.

  I can't bear another negative sign.

Thank you for listening, let me know when we can sit down and talk.

No comments: