Sunday, December 4, 2011

Caberete, DR

After spending four days for Thanksgiving in Caberete, we decided to head back up this past weekend. The clock's ticking for time left before xmas break and most of us are going home, so we figured we better get in some more beach time before heading to the North American winter. I haven't been home for xmas in a long time, so this will be something different for me.

Caberete is one of those beach places where one wrong move and you could instantly become "lost". It has that party, reckless feel and although I can't compare it to Punta Cana, I am imagining that it is much different. There aren't "resorts" in Cab (that's what the locals call it). The water isn't that crystal clear calm water that you are thinking of, instead the winds and surf bring the kite boarders and surfers out and the town caters to adventure.

I thought I'd try and give surfing a go, but being that I'm not much of a water person it wasn't a thrilling first experience. I'll stick to wandering the beach looking for shells, or in this case, avoiding trash and plastics. We need to have a plastic discussion soon...



At one point I counted 19 kite boarders in my view. In typical tourist fashion some horses came trotting by. The water is clear, but the constant winds cause the crashing waves to stir things up.


You can't do too much without getting heckled. It is no where near as bad as Brazil, but you will get asked about 15 times a day if you want your hair braided, or some fruit, or some crappy jewelry from china.


This weekend I was grateful that although I don't live near the beach that at least I don't live here. There are tons of street dogs for me to befriend, though.

No comments: