Sunday, November 8, 2009

I'm in, but I can't get out!


Time really is flying by. I've been in Santa Cruz for almost four months and it feels like I just moved here. Although I do have to say that I am getting used to the everyday "sights" here - like men peeing in the street, dirt roads with big pot holes filled with trash (yes, that makes a much smoother ride), stores being closed only during the most convenient times to shop, you know, regular, common occurrences. One of the questions that I have is why people just throw their trash just anywhere. I know people are poor, and uneducated, but doesn't it just make sense to put your trash in a place - maybe, I don't know - in one place a little further out than in your front yard, or the drainage canals in the streets. Hasn't anyone heard of the black plague? Rat infestations? So maybe I'm not getting used to the sights!


We were driving back from lunch with some friends and a car had driven off the road and into the canal... Not a great picture, I know.


Here's a better view... You can see how the city makes an effort to keep the drainage systems clean...


The past couple weeks have been hard. A lot of negativity floating around and it has always been hard for me to separate myself from that. My principal has decided to leave the school. I know, it happens. The bummer is that he is the main reason I chose this school in the first place. His ideas on education are in alignment with mine and now, well, the unknown is a bit scary. Our school doesn't have a great "package" to offer. First of all, it's in Santa Cruz. (Oh, I wish I'd videotaped our little excursion to the market yesterday.) Secondly, the financial package is low and some people actually are motivated by money. Third - which was supposed to be a huge plus - is the travel opportunities!

Awesome!

Being in the literal heart of South America. So much to see, so many places to explore... well guess what... I arrived here 25 July and handed in my passport and haven't seen it since! Yup, I'm an illegal immigrant in this country. I have no idea what my status even is. Would you like to know what it takes to get a work visa in Boliva? Well, I'm not really sure yet, since I don't have one, but here's what I've done so far... Paid $135 - not bad. Been fingerprinted - not bad. Opened a bank account and proved that I have money here - ok, still not bad. Given blood for an AIDS test - WTF? are you kidding me? Does this happen in the US? Can you imagine giving blood in the US for a visa? People would loose it and cry discrimination! Let me think... money, fingerprints, blood... I think that's all - oh and the fact that they actually have my passport and have had it in their possession for 4 months... Makes it hard to take advantage of the travel opportunities when you don't have your passport. I am leaving for Buenos Aires on 28 December so I better have my little blue book in my hand.

I know I'm not painting a lovely picture of this place, but let me tell you - Bolivia has awesome travel opportunities. I would not recommend you visit Santa Cruz for long, but so many other cool places. Go on google images and type in Salar de Uyuni. I'll be there in a few weeks...

2 comments:

T.W. M-J said...

If I can offer a few thoughts:

1) Get thee to the US Embassy. You should be able to get a duplicate of your passport in situations like this. Not a new one (old one would then be invalid) but a copy of the first. They used to offer this service for folks going between Israel and Muslim countries, but I think you can ask for one in other situations as well.

2) It's not all that bad, after all, there is:
+ no military junta in charge of the country.
+ you have a nice house, cleaning lady and (strange and goofy) friends.

3) You tend to take the piss out of everything anyway, so if I apply my formula (Lisa's disparaging something + reasonable amount of b.s. = something close to paradise...just kidding, but try to put it in perspective. This is just right now- you have options. Never know what tomorrow will bring.

Caroline Hallereau-Williams said...

Hey Lisa,

I cannot believe this crazy passport situation... Hope you get it back soon so you can feel free. I would suffocate without mine!
As for the blood test, it is pretty standard: I had to give blood and be tested for AIDS to get my visa to enter the US (and I was already married to Steve). Basically, you can "visit" the US for 3 months, screw around like crazy and spread AIDS but if you want to live in the country (US and Bolivia apparently)for more than 3 months, well, they think you're more "dangerous" and need to test you. Interesting...
Have fun on your little excursion this week-end and Happy Thanksgiving!

Caroline