Monday, May 25, 2009

Moving on

So I just quit my job in Burma... yup. I've been thinking about it for months after loosing hours and hours of sleep I've decided to break my contract and not return. What am I going to do? It's not time to tell you yet. I will, don't worry, but I need some time.

This isn't about living in Burma. Yes it could be frustrating at times and the internet/censorship issues were barely bearable, but it was because of the school that I am not returning. The school is a for-profit "business" in which the "owners" were more concerned with making money than supporting the education of the students. Did I know that going in? No. I knew the school was run by a board of local people, but I had no idea that the resources would be available, but denied because of costs. Guess what? - you need stuff to teach science affectively. Yeah, yeah, I can teach with a stick in the dirt, but that is not the kind of teacher that I want to be. I want to provide my students with hands on learning opportunities, and that is difficult to do when there is one triple beam balance for the entire school of 900 students. So it wasn't that the country was too hard. It wasn't the political unrest (although the "elections" coming up and a bit scary), it was the school.

So now I'm moving on. More to come...

No comments: